How we can help
The Miscarriage Association provides support and information to anyone affected by pregnancy loss, through our:
We will always try to be of help, but are unable to provide professional counselling. There’s more information on how to find a counsellor on our ‘Counselling after a miscarriage’ page.
Our staffed pregnancy loss helpline is available from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to provide support on all aspects of pregnancy loss. Call us on 01924 200799.
We know that picking up the phone and talking to someone you don’t know can sometimes be a scary experience. You might not know how to start or what to say. Our helpline staff and volunteers can help you find the right words. What happens when you call our helpline.
If talking on the phone isn’t for you, take a look at our online support section.
We can also provide information and offer support via email. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We aim to reply the same or the next working day.
We have a UK-wide network of support volunteers, who have been through the experience of pregnancy loss themselves and can offer real understanding and a listening ear. Most offer support by telephone and some run monthly support groups.
The thought of going to a support group can be daunting – but for many, it is actually a very positive experience, as ‘Kate’ (not her real name) notes:
“I was quite nervous of going and I was worried I might break down in front of a group of strangers. As it happened I found the session extremely helpful and I am really looking forward to going again.
“For anyone who’s anxious about going to a group, give it a try. You will be in a supportive environment, often a small group and you don’t have to share unless you’re ready to. Sometimes you realise more about your own feelings by listening to others.”
We have support groups in:
- Heartlands Hospital usually meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 6.30 p.m., but will NOT meet in January 2016. The meeting after 9 December will be 10 February.
- Birmingham Women’s Hospital usually meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month from 7 p.m., but please note changes for the next 3 months. There will be no meeting on Wed 25 November, and the group will meet on Mon 21 December and Wed 27 January. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
- please email email@example.com for further information.
- The Black Country:
- meets on request. Contact us for details.
- Blackpool, Wyre & Fylde
- a new group, whose first meeting will be on Wednesday 6th January, 3- 4.30pm at the Palatine Leisure Centre, St Anne’s Rd, Blackpool. You can text 07340 983954 or contact us for details.
- meets at the Alma Church, Clifton on the 1st Tuesday of the month, 7-9pm. Further details on Facebook at Bristol Miscarriage Support.
- Carmarthen, South Wales:
- meets on the first Wednesday of each month from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Trysordy Treasure House, Llansteffan Road, Johnstown SA31 3QU. Contact us for details and see also http://carmarthenmiscarriagesupportgroup.weebly.com
- Chester/North Wales:
- meets at Caldy Valley Church Centre, Great Boughton on the 1st Tuesday of the month
- Coleraine, Northern Ireland:
- meets on the last Tuesday of the month, from 7 – 8.30 p.m.. Contact us for details.
- meets in Redruth, in the Crypt at St Andrews Church, opposite Redruth library, on the first Monday of the month from 7.30. p.m.
- meets at the Craiglochart Sports Centre’s Tennis Tournament Building on the 2nd Wednesday of the month
- meets at the New Victoria Hospital on the 1st Thursday of the month.
- [Ipswich & E Suffolk
- not meeting currently, hopes to re-start later in the year]
- runs as and when needed, so just let them know. Contact us for details.
- meets once a month in the Prayer Room at Guy’s Hospital. Next meetings will be Thursdays 28th July, 25th August, 29th September, 27th October, 24th November and 22nd December 2016. Contact MALondon2014@outlook.com for more information and directions.
- Meets once a month in the Withington area. Text 07504 045615 for details of venue and meeting dates.
- meets on the second Thursday of every month from 6-8 p.m. at the Molineux centre, Molineux Street, Byker, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE6 1SG. Contact us for details.
- meets at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the 1st Wednesday of the month, 7:30-9pm. Further details at www.facebook.com/NorfolkMiscarriageSupport
- miscarriage support group meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 7-9 p.m. at Sherwood Methodist Church;
- pregnancy after loss group meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month from 10.30 – 12.30.
- meets on the first Tuesday of every month from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Hub in Plympton, Plymouth.
- meets on the first Thursday of the month from 7.30-9pm at St Mary’s Church rooms, London Road, King’s Worthy, SO23 7QL. An additional group can be arranged as required for those who are pregnant after losing pregnancies. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and directions for parking, as SAT Navs are not accurate.
- meets once a month. Contact email@example.com for details.
We aim to provide support, information and friendship across our website. If there’s anything you can’t find or that you think we could add, please tell us.
We have a range of leaflets that talk about the facts and feelings of miscarriage, ectopic and molar pregnancy. We always welcome suggestions for new leaflet topics.
Our online forum
The M.A.’s online forum aims to provide a safe, secure and friendly place where you can share your thoughts, feelings and experiences with others who have been through something similar.
Our social media groups and profiles
We also have a number of other online spaces and groups where you can find information and peer support. These include Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram and more.