How we can help
The Miscarriage Association provides support and information to anyone affected by pregnancy loss, through our:
We will always try to be of help, but are unable to provide professional counselling. There’s more information on how to find a counsellor on our ‘Counselling after a miscarriage’ page.
Our staffed pregnancy loss helpline is available from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to provide support on all aspects of pregnancy loss. Call us on 01924 200799.
We know that picking up the phone and talking to someone you don’t know can sometimes be a scary experience. You might not know how to start or what to say. Our helpline staff and volunteers can help you find the right words. What happens when you call our helpline.
If talking on the phone isn’t for you, take a look at our online support section.
We can also provide information and offer support via email. You can reach us at email@example.com. We aim to reply the same or the next working day.
We have a UK-wide network of support volunteers, who have been through the experience of pregnancy loss themselves and can offer real understanding and a listening ear. Most offer support by telephone and some run monthly support groups.
The thought of going to a support group can be daunting – but for many, it is actually a very positive experience, as ‘Kate’ (not her real name) notes:
“I was quite nervous of going and I was worried I might break down in front of a group of strangers. As it happened I found the session extremely helpful and I am really looking forward to going again.
“For anyone who’s anxious about going to a group, give it a try. You will be in a supportive environment, often a small group and you don’t have to share unless you’re ready to. Sometimes you realise more about your own feelings by listening to others.”
We have support groups in:
- Heartlands Hospital, meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 6.30 p.m.
- Birmingham Women’s Hospital, meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month from 7 p.m.
- please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information
- The Black Country:
- meets on request. Contact us for details.
- meets at the Alma Church, Clifton on the 1st Tuesday of the month, 7-9pm. Further details on Facebook at Bristol Miscarriage Support.
- Carmarthen, South Wales:
- meets on the first Wednesday of each month from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Trysordy Treasure House, Llansteffan Road, Johnstown SA31 3QU. Contact us for details and see also http://carmarthenmiscarriagesupportgroup.weebly.com
- Chester/North Wales:
- meets at Caldy Valley Church Centre, Great Boughton on the 1st Tuesday of the month
- Coleraine, Northern Ireland:
- meets on the last Tuesday of the month, from 7 – 8.30 p.m.. Contact us for details.
- meets in Redruth, in the Crypt at St Andrews Church, opposite Redruth library, on the first Monday of the month from 7.30. p.m.
- meets at the Craiglochart Sports Centre’s Tennis Tournament Building on the 2nd Wednesday of the month
- meets at the New Victoria Hospital on the 1st Thursday of the month.
- [Ipswich & E Suffolk
- not meeting currently, hopes to re-start later in the year]
- runs as and when needed, so just let them know. Contact us for details.
- meets once a month in the Prayer Room at Guy’s Hospital. Next meetings will be Thursdays 23 April, 21 May and 25 June, at 6.30 p.m.. Contact MALondon2014@outlook.com for more information and directions.
- Meets once a month in the Withington area. Text 07504 045615 for details of venue and meeting dates.
- meets at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the 1st Wednesday of the month, 7:30-9pm. Further details at www.facebook.com/NorfolkMiscarriageSupport
- miscarriage support group meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 7-9 p.m. at Sherwood Methodist Church;
- pregnancy after loss group meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month from 10.30 – 12.30.
- starting on 4 June 2015, meets on the first Thursday of the month from 7.30-9pm at St Mary’s Church rooms, London Road, King’s Worthy, SO23 7QL. Contact email@example.com for more details and directions.
- meets once a month. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- meets at York Hospital Bereavement Suite on the first Wednesday of the month
We aim to provide support, information and friendship across our website. If there’s anything you can’t find or that you think we could add, please tell us.
We have a range of leaflets that talk about the facts and feelings of miscarriage, ectopic and molar pregnancy. We always welcome suggestions for new leaflet topics.
Our online forum
Our online forum is a safe space for people to share thoughts, feelings and experiences about miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy and molar pregnancy.
Our social media groups and profiles
We also have a number of other online spaces and groups where you can find information and peer support. These include Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram and more.