How we can help
The Miscarriage Association provides support and information to anyone affected by pregnancy loss, through our:
We will always try to be of help, but are unable to provide professional counselling. There’s more information on how to find a counsellor on our ‘Counselling after a miscarriage’ page.
Our staffed pregnancy loss helpline is available from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to provide support on all aspects of pregnancy loss. Call us on 01924 200799.
We can also provide information and offer support via email. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We aim to reply the same or the next working day.
We have a UK-wide network of support volunteers, who have been through the experience of pregnancy loss themselves and can offer real understanding and a listening ear. Most offer support by telephone and some run monthly support groups.
The thought of going to a support group can be daunting – but for many, it is actually a very positive experience, as ‘Kate’ (not her real name) notes:
“I was quite nervous of going and I was worried I might break down in front of a group of strangers. As it happened I found the session extremely helpful and I am really looking forward to going again.
“For anyone who’s anxious about going to a group, give it a try. You will be in a supportive environment, often a small group and you don’t have to share unless you’re ready to. Sometimes you realise more about your own feelings by listening to others.”
We have support groups in:
- Birmingham Women’s Hospital
- Heartlands Hospital, meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 6.30 to 8 p.m. (email email@example.com for more details)
- The Black Country:
- meets in the Dudley area
- meets at the Alma Church, Clifton on the 1st Tuesday of the month, 7-9pm. Further details on Facebook at Bristol Miscarriage Support.
- Chester/North Wales:
- meets at Caldy Valley Church Centre, Great Boughton on the 1st Tuesday of the month
- Coleraine, Northern Ireland:
- meets on the last Tuesday of the month, from 7 – 8.30 p.m.. Contact us for details.
- meets at the Craiglochart Sports Centre’s Tennis Tournament Building on the 2nd Wednesday of the month
- meets at the New Victoria Hospital on the 1st Thursday of the month
- Ipswich & E Suffolk
- meets at the Women’s Centre, 37 Berners Street, Ipswich IP1 3LN on the first Tuesday of the month
- meets once a month in the Prayer Room at Guy’s Hospital. Next meetings will be Thursdays 25 Sep, 6 Nov*, 27 Nov, 18 Dec, 22 Jan, 26 Feb, 26 March. Contact MALondon2014@outlook.com for more information and directions. *The early November meeting is instead of the late October meeting because of holidays.
- Meets once a month in the Withington area. Text 07504 045615 for details of venue and meeting dates.
- meets at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the 1st Wednesday of the month, 7:30-9pm. Further details at www.facebook.com/NorfolkMiscarriageSupport
- miscarriage support group meets on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 7-9 p.m. at Sherwood Methodist Church; pregnancy after loss group meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month from 10.30 – 12.30.
- Poole, Dorset:
- The Dorset Miscarriage Support Group will have its first meeting on Wed 7 January 2015 at 7.30 p.m. at the Quaker House, 52 Wimborne Road, Poole, Dorset, BH15 2BY. For details of this and future meetings, please call Emma on 07718 278756 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Rainham miscarriage support group meets on the first Monday of every month from 6:30-7:30pm. Rainham Library, Essex. All welcome.
- meets once a month. Contact email@example.com for details.
- meets at York Hospital Bereavement Suite on the first Wednesday of the month
We aim to provide support, information and friendship across our website. If there’s anything you can’t find or that you think we could add, please tell us.
We have a range of leaflets that talk about the facts and feelings of miscarriage, ectopic and molar pregnancy. We always welcome suggestions for new leaflet topics.
Our online forum
Our online forum is a safe space for people to share thoughts, feelings and experiences about miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy and molar pregnancy.
Our social media groups and profiles
We also have a number of other online spaces and groups where you can find information and peer support. These include Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram and more.